Water, Flooding and Fishing Rights

Check your Flood Risk

The risk of flooding in England and Wales may be caused from 3 different water sources, i.e.

  • Flooding from Rivers and the Sea
  • Surface Water Flooding - Rainwater
  • Groundwater Flooding

Flooding during recent years has been severe in many areas and so it is important for us all to become informed of such risks in our neighbourhood, and more so when moving house. Recent official assessments state that 1 in 6 homes are at risk of flooding. As this is likely to be a result of climate change, it seems that the position will only worsen.

Read More

Fishing Rights on Rivers

The Land Registration Act 2002 introduced, for the first time, the right to register Fishing Rights at the Land Registry with its own unique Title, even though the riverbank itself is owned by someone else. This article will examine the right to register Fishing Rights, Riverbank Ownerships, and how to obtain copies of the ownership documents relating to riverbank and fishing right ownerships.

Read More

Culverts and Watercourses

The Land Drainage Act 1991 provides that the owner of land through which a culvert passes is classed as the riparian owner and is therefore responsible for maintaining the culvert to allow for the free passage of water. This is whether or not he is aware of the culvert.

Read More

Water, Sewer and Drainage Map Report

Residential Report

Our homes and the land they are built upon have water, drain and sewers passing beneath them. Knowing the route of the water, drain and sewer pipes and where they can be accessed via manholes and inspection chambers can be very helpful, particularly when you are considering the erection of another property on your land, or when you believe you have a water or sewerage leak. Sometimes, you just need to know the position of the nearest water access point in the road outside of your house. The map and reports deal with water, sewers and drains located at your property and within 200 metres of it. 

Commercial Report

A commercial report is slightly different from a residential report, as commercial users are now able to chose their own water retailer. Furthermore, trade premises to do not have the right to discharge trade effluent to the public wastewater network, without consent. Accordingly, the commercial report has to consider these and other additional matters.

Read More

Surface Water Flooding

Surface water flooding is rain water flooding, which usually occurs as a result of very heavy rain in a short period of time. Sometimes the drainage systems in our towns are not sufficient to cope with the increased amount of rain; other times it may be that the ground has been unable to soak up the water, causing it to spill to a lower elevation.

Rain water flooding is not so easy to detect in advance as river or sea flooding, often occurring many miles away from where the rain fell. This may result in a flash flood. A flash flood is particularly dangerous as it occurs with very little notice and often carries much debris with it, such as fallen trees, large rocks, etc.

Lead Local Flood Authorities are responsible for management of the risk of surface water flooding, and they work in partnership with the Environment Agency, district councils and sewerage companies. A surface water flood risk map has been produced by them, and is part of the Flood Risk report that we sell.

Read More